Search This Blog

Friday, September 9, 2011

Pickle jar soap dispenser

 

Yesterday after making out my grocery list I was washing the ink off my hand (I’m left handed), squeezing out the last drop of soap, making a mental note to add that to my list when I remembered I had wrote that we needed pickles. Of course my first though was of the Ball soap dispensers that have been going on Etsy for up to $30. I knew I could make my own version of that for way less, free even. So I dug the empty pickle jar out of the trash, soaked it in warm water to help remove the label and the vinegar smell, and got to work.

 

102_1323

Not very attractive as it was, huh?

I grabbed the empty dispenser, and a knife.

102_1324102_1325

Sorry my pictures are crummy as usual. I usually do my crafting at night after dinner.

I decided it would be way too hard to cut a circular shape out of the lid, so I cut out a square just a little bigger than the dispenser base.

102_1327

I liked it the way it was, but not as much as I knew I would once I added my own touch to it.

102_1329

So, out came the craft paint. I mixed the paint in a bowl 2 parts water to 1 part paint. I thought it would have a nice sea glass effect.

102_1337

This is the only picture I have with the “sea glass effect” I was showing the foamy hand soap. Anyway, It was pretty but I just didn’t like it. I decided I would like it much better opaque, so I washed the paint off.

This time I jerked pulled the pump out but left the lid on, and painted the entire thing with undiluted craft paint.

102_1339

Much better.  I wrote soap on it with a plain ol’ Sharpie.

102_1341

Now, on to the foamy soap! No, I didn’t have this on hand already, but I did have cheap shampoo. 

102_1335

I got this idea from another blogger a while ago, but for the life of me I can’t remember who. So, fill what ever container you are using up to about an inch from full, fill it up the rest of the way with the shampoo. If you use too much shampoo it will clog your dispenser up, and that’s never any fun!

I just adore the way my dispenser turned out, and best of all it was free! I already had everything on hand. I think that’s a lot better than the $10-$30 I could get one on Etsy for!

 

I'm linking up to..The DIY Show Off

No comments:

Post a Comment